HVAC Maintenance Tips to Get You through the Winter Months
With average high temperatures during the day 64 degrees and average low temperatures 33 degrees in the month of February, and increase in use during the winter months, it’s important to make sure your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system is working properly. Though all of our homes in Las Cruces NM come with new systems that work properly, it’s still important to conduct routine maintenance on your system. Use these HVAC maintenance tips to get you through the winter months.
1. Have it professionally inspected – Before you switch from AC to hear, hire a professional to inspect your unit. This inspection should catch any potential issues that may cause big problems later. This should be performed twice a year.
2. Do you hear funny noises? – Turn off your system to see if there are no unusual sounds coming from it. Hearing weird noises usually means there is a problem and that you should get it checked out immediately.
3. Check and replace – Check your air filters to make sure there is no excessive dust or dirt build up. Dirt and dust will clog up your filters, restricting air flow and causing the system to work harder. Your air filters should be release as needed, usually every two to three months.
4. Clean the vents – Dirty vents mean the HVAC system isn’t running properly. Vents that aren’t clean also harbor allergens, mold, and other things that will circulate could throughout your home and affect the quality of air that you and your family are breathing.
5. Are there any obstructions? – Make sure there are no drapes, plants, furniture, or rugs blocking the vents so that the heat can flow into your home properly.
Routine maintenance on your HVAC system will ensure it is working properly, help reduce energy bills, hopefully avoid the system failing during peak season, and keep you and your homes in Las Cruces NM neighbors warm this season.